> Conditional Exercise 9
Conditional Exercise 9
Continuous Conditional Forms
Using the words in parentheses, complete the text below with the appropriate conditional form, then click the "Check" button to check your answers.
1. They canceled all the flights out of Chicago today because of the blizzard. If it (snow, not)
so hard, I would not be stuck in the airport.
2. Charles arrived late again to work yesterday. He came running into the office complaining of car problems, but everyone knew it was a lie. If the boss (stand)
there when he showed up, I am sure he would have been fired.
3. If I were in Hawaii right now, I (sunbathe)
on a beach. I would not be stuck here in this office with mountains of paperwork.
4. John is so incredibly lazy! If we went over to his house right now, I bet he (lie)
on the couch with some pizza in one hand and a remote control in the other.
5. If I were a millionaire, I (work, not)
here in this factory. I (shop)
in Paris, (ski)
in Innsbruck or (sail)
the Mediterranean on my super yacht.
6. I wish we had time to organize a surprise party for Linda. If all of her friends (sit)
in her apartment waiting for her when she gets home from work tomorrow, she would be so surprised!
7. If she (stay)
in that hotel next week while the trade show is being held, she might be able to meet some contacts and tell them about our new line of computer software.
8. When Mike came home yesterday, he claimed he had been jogging. I didn't believe a word he said. If he had really been jogging, he (sweat)
or at least out of breath. I think he went down to the coffee shop and had a donut.
9. Jane's plane arrived a half an hour ahead of schedule. If we hadn't decided to go to the airport early, she (wait)
there a long time before we arrived.
10. If Sam hadn't stopped to pick up that quarter, he (cross)
the street when the car ran the red light. He could have been killed!
11. When I went up to the cash register to pay for the Coke, the lady behind the counter was talking to a friend of hers on the phone. I waited and waited until I finally had to demand that she help me. If I hadn't said anything, I (wait)
there for hours.
12. I am looking out the window right now and I see children playing soccer and hide-and-go-seek in the street. If it were winter, it would be too cold to play outside. All the kids would be indoors. They (watch)
books or (play)
board games with their friends.
13. If Bob (stand, not)
behind us right now, I would tell you what happened. Just wait until he leaves, and I'll tell you the whole story.
14. Did you hear about the bomb the terrorists planted on the plane yesterday? A bag full of plastic explosives was in the cargo bay. Luckily, nobody was hurt. The plane with the bomb was having some engine problems so the passengers had to disembark. If they hadn't had difficulties with the engine, the passengers (sit)
in the plane when the bomb went off. Talk about a miracle!
15. If you went to the studio early tomorrow morning, you (wait)
there when the actors arrive for work. I'm sure you could get ten or twenty autographs that way.
Copyright © , All Rights Reserved.
Advertise with us
Learn English at !
Phrasal Verb Dictionary
Verb + Preposition Dictionary